9.08.2012

Fury (New Species Book 1) by Laurann Dohner

          Now, I have to say this... The New Species series is one of my favorite. I just love it so much, so I decided since I was going through my old books that I would write about it. (I know my Boyfriend is going to read this post and make fun of me for it, but I don't care. Guys just don't get it :P)
         Ellie is horrified to discover the pharmaceutical company she works for is doing illegal experiments. Company scientists have spliced human and animal DNA, creating exotic new species. One such “experiment” captures her heart and she’ll do anything to save him—even if he hates her for it.
         Fury has never known compassion or love. He’s spent his life in a cell, chained and abused by humans. The one woman he allowed himself to trust betrayed him. Now he’s free and set on vengeance. He vows to end her life but when she’s finally in his grasp, harming her is the last thing he wants to do to the sexy little human.
         Fury can’t resist Ellie—the touch of her hands, her mouth on his skin, her body wrapped around his. He’s obsessed with the scent of his woman. And Ellie wants Fury—always has. She craves his big, powerful body and wants to heal his desolate heart.
         But loving Fury is one thing…taming him is another.
Reader Advisory: This story contains the heartrending aftermath of a rape scene involving a captive male. Another scene involves capture and forced touching by a hurt, vengeful Fury.
Click to view on Amazon: Fury
          Now, this is the first book in series and the writing is a bit choppy in places, which sometimes annoyed me, but (!) I really love this series. I'm not entirely sure that I can put into words the reason I love it so much.
          This mostly takes place after Ellie has smuggled out the information that is needed to shut Mercile Industries down, and the New Species have a new home base that Ellie has helped build because she is haunted by the thought of Fury being locked up in his cell. She is willing to do anything to make a safe place for the new species. There are also hate groups popping up all over the place who argue that because the New Species are part animal they don't deserve basic human rights. Idiots.they all also seem to be red necks who like to hunt, that made me giggle. They say that any human willing to associate with the New Species are betraying humans.
          I love the whole Alpha male, possessive protector thing... I know, I know... I should be a modern woman and shun such outdated modes of thought, but really... I think deep down every woman wants a guy as devoted as these New Species males are. Something that confuses me sometimes are the whole facial features thing... like the pronounced cheekbones and strange noses.. (The eyes are cool though) I cant really picture those features so I just imagine a super hot guy instead.
          Now, this is a "romance" (as in there is a love story) but it is mostly an erotic novel, so a lot of the story revolves around sex instead of the slow build of a relationship. I don't have a problem with this... but its very graphic so... yeah. And remember that these men had their dna spliced with that of wild animals, so they do have animal traits. Like the growling (always sexy) but the one that might seem out of the ordinary was the fact that Fury (who is a canine breed) has a knot. Like at the end of sex he would swell up and end of locked inside Ellie. Now, that made me a little uncomfortable at first, but I got over it. I mean it might be freaky in a "OMG he is part animal" way, but I also think its kinda a plus, Ellie was right, It would make him a cuddler. Who doesn't love cuddling? And just a quick note: when Fury told Ellie he was a shooter, I positively chortled. A shooter...lolz.
          Now, there is a woman in this one who tries to steal Fury away, but that plot line kinda falls apart in the end because she actually didn't want him... I don't know... it was weird. I did like how Fury wanted revenge on Ellie, because she kinda did pull a bitch move in the beginning of the book, I mean she could have just left the testing facility early and they would have known she killed the doctor but she would have already left. I mean she really didn't have to frame Fury. But then I think Fury took a little long to get over it, but hey everyone is allowed their character flaws.
          Now, Justice (The head New Species guy) kept walking in one Ellie and Fury having sex... Come on man, after the first time, learn to knock. It happened over and over. Everyone kept walking in on them, and they always seemed to think he was hurting her. Crazy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment